Monday, February 9, 2009

Day 3 as a Pescatarian

I'm sure you are wondering what the heck a Pescatarian is... so here is the definition:

A Pescatarian is a word occasionally used to describe those who abstain from eating all meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish. Although the word is not commonly used and a pescatarian is not technically a vegetarian, more and more people are adopting this kind of diet, usually for health reasons or as a stepping stone to a fully vegetarian diet. Pescetarians often believe that moderate consumption of fish or fish oils, which are high in Omega-3 fatty acids, is necessary for optimum health, although vegetarian alternatives, such as flax seed oil, are available.

On more then one occasion I have been asked why I am not a vegetarian, this question based primarily on my animal rights and cruelty beliefs. Good question. I have thought about becoming a vegetarian before but never followed through with it. This question has made me really think about the choice of eating or not eating meat and my beliefs. More importantly I have thought about the unethical and inhumane treatment of the animals. It makes me physically ill to see a semi carrying pigs or cows or chickens all crammed into a small space. If something like that bothers me so I have no business eating meat.

After doing a little research I have decided to stop eating meat but I am still going to eat seafood. Thus the title of Pescatarian. Today is the ending of day three and it has been much easier then I thought. Only time will tell but I really think this is a change I can and will stick to.

I am looking forward to finding new recipes and learning more about being a Pescatarian. So if you have any great vegetarian recipes let me know.

1 comment:

Kylie V. said...

i've got a lot of great vegetarian recipes AND seafood recipes. mostly salmon and tilapia...our 2 faves. I could photocopy them at work and send them to you! You are so brave...i really like my meat :)