Thursday, July 31, 2008

Finding That Next Door...

The present is a gift and this I know for sure.

As cliche as it might sound to some, I have really come to appreciate the meaning of living for today and understanding that tomorrow is promised to no one. More importantly you never know when those most important to you, will be gone. Worrying about tomorrow, next week, next month does nothing but rob you of the good things happening to you right now. Yes all seems so simple to understand but not as easy to do.

Now I speak these thoughts as a worrier and a dweller myself. I worry about things that may never happen, things I cant control and I also find myself dwelling on situations that I can do nothing to change. Yet when I take a step back and think about what it is I am worrying or dwelling upon, I realize how much energy I am wasting on things I will never be able to control.

I have without a doubt fallen victim to glaring longingly at a closed "door" for too long...hoping and praying that what was behind that door would come back, eagerly knocking to be a part of my life again. Relationships, jobs, friends, family and opportunities have come and gone without asking me for permission. Often I am puzzled and confused by it all because it is difficult to comprehend why a particular door in my life had slammed shut, causing an abrupt and normally unwanted end to a chapter in my life.

What I never see at the time, is that because that particular door closed, without my blessing, another unforeseen and unblemished door opened right up. So as hard as it may be sometimes, I know that the best thing for me, or anyone else for that matter, is to move forward and find that next wonderful, exciting, unfamiliar and untainted door. No matter what doors I have traveled through so far in my life, I know that with each one that closed, I was able to learn a little more about myself.

With that said, I think it is time to find that next exciting door and to see what today holds for me...no more worrying or dwelling.

"When one door closes another door opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us."
-Alexander Graham Bell

No comments: