Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Story of Lucy


I love animals. It is no secret I am a huge animal lover. Always have had a soft spot in my heart for all animals. I even hate to kill ants. In fact I wanted to be a Vet until I realized I would have to put animals to sleep sometimes. I couldn't bear the thought of having to do that....so I decided marketing was a better option.

My love for animals was so great that when I was little I would rescue stray animals and try to find their owners. My parents weren't too excited about my extracurricular activity because they were worried I would get attacked by a rabid dog or something worse. They always worried too much...actually they still do. Thankfully never got attacked. I did however, misconstrue a situation with a yellow lab one time. I thought it was lost so I took it home, called the number on his collar only to find out I took him out of his owners front yard. Oops! Well the owners shouldn't have let him roam around so close to the street without supervision in the first place. I have reunited several lost pets with their owners though, which always makes be feel good. I would hope that if I ever lose one of my pets that someone would do the same for me. Do unto others and Karma you know...

I actually found Lucy one day in March three years ago. I was driving home from the grocery and she ran right in front of my car. I walked around my neighborhood trying to find her owner. With no luck I took her home for the night. The next day I took her to the vet to find out if she had a microchip with her owners information. At this point I had already grown attached to her and was horrified when the Vet Tech came out and said they found a microchip. I asked them to check again, upon doing this they realized that they had been scanning the sample chip that was attached to the scanner. Idiots! With both relief and happiness I left the Vet that day as the new owner of a 3 month old, little, tan and white Sheppard mix puppy I'd call Lucy.

As I have stated before, I am a huge believer in everything happens for a reason. Without a doubt I believe I found Lucy for a reason that gloomy Saturday afternoon. She needed me that day and later I would realize how much I needed her. Almost a year to the day after I found Lucy, is when my world changed completely and my engagement ended. To some a dog may just be a dog but truly I can not tell you how many times she has done something to make me laugh or divert my mind from other worries.

See everything does happen for a reason.

"Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole." -Roger Caras

No comments: