Thursday, August 14, 2008

An Afternoon at the Indiana State Fair

It has become somewhat of a tradition. Every year the marketing dept., or those in the marketing department who wish to brave the mid-day heat/humidity, avoid getting hit by the crazy tractor towing people movers and a possible stomachache after devouring a variety of fair goodies, take a trip to the Indiana State Fair for lunch. Well today was that day!

It was oddly pretty nice weather...normally it feels like 100 degrees, sticky and uncomfortable. Really our only reason for going to the fair is for the food...as I am sure this is the reason most people do so. First up....the Fried Cheese booth. My vice at the state fair would be this fried cheese, fried cheddar nuggets to be exact. Although the Fried Cheese booth is a racket charging $7.00 for 8 cheddar nuggets...I can't help but love this greasy, gooey, melty, cheesy goodness and make a point to get this every year. Add a ridiculously small thimble sized cup full of Ranch and it is heaven at the fair. How could one not enjoy warm fried Wisconsin cheese nuggets? Only other thing I could compare to this great annual lunch choice would be Gramboli's pizza buffet, with the giant tv, set to Wheel of Fortune with two of my favorite guys...Jared and Scott.

After the first course of our unhealthy food choices, we walked around to see what other yummy options we could find. I kept seeing people with giant ears of corn and they looked great. Time for the second course....Roasted Corn on the Cob. If there is one thing that Indiana can grow is good corn. I love corn on the cob and I was sure that it was probably ridiculously delicious, so we walked into the booth and we all got an ear of corn for $2.50...by far the cheapest food choice in the vicinity of the Indiana State Fairgrounds. It was exactly as great as I thought it would be, they dip the roasted corn in a bucket of butter and then you can salt your own. Loved it. Thought possibly I should visit the Dairy Barn for dessert but decided that may throw me into a food coma and I didn't want to feel awful for the rest of the day. Theres always next year.

We continued to walk around and made our way to the Cow showing area. Being a huge animal lover, I always like to visit the farm animals. As soon as we entered the barn area (I have no idea what the real name of this area is) I see four people pulling violently on something and as I get closer I realize it is a cow giving birth. Oh my gosh it was amazing....I almost cried. The calf was so adorable and then the mother cow started licking it and it was just awesome. As you can probably tell by my amazement I am in no way shape or form a farm girl and I don't see something like this very often. I think I really should have been a vet...I missed my calling. We then made our way to the Pig house....again adorable, large pigs snoring away and caring less about their visitors. There were a couple active pigs in the area and I got to get up close and personal with them (through their pens of course) and was even able to pet their snouts. Don't worry I disinfected my hands several times when I got home so no chance at getting some crazy pig illness. As we were living the pig house we saw the little piglets and the mom pig. Again adorable and to be honest I really wanted to pick one up but I forced myself to keep walking. I do think I may consider being a vegetarian now.

Overall it was good day at the fair and we were lucky enough to make our way to our cars as the clouds and bad weather rolled in...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When we went to the fair we toured the sheep barn... what got me was the people sleeping in cots... I mean A> there's a TON of people milling around and B> BAAA BAAA BAAA BAAA BAAA BAAA