Friday, August 1, 2008

Speaking of what I want...

I wouldn't classify myself as a high maintenance woman...a better term would be a woman who finally knows what she wants...in myself, in life, in a man and in a relationship.

I am particular about some things, for instance I hate dirty counter tops in the kitchen as well as dirty dishes in the sink. I wont eat leftovers despite the fact that my Dad has told me pretty much my whole life that there is nothing wrong with leftovers. To me there is, I think their gross. I will however eat leftover pizza and any Casa de Angelo leftovers at any time.

I have to sleep with a fan at night (don't ask it all started when I was in high school and thankfully my dear and loving roommates over the years have graciously put up up with my crazy habit...Leah, Meg, Jill, Missy, Julia, Jessica, Rita, Christine...you guys are the best! What can I say I hate to be hot.)

I also like things clean and in order, I could possibly diagnosis myself with a bit of OCD because often I have this crazy compulsion to clean and vacuum...I LOVE to vacuum, yes I know I'm weird. (For more info on that subject, see the blog entry regarding Stanley Steamer, I love those guys!)

I admit too I enjoy being pampered. I love pedicures (of course these are best with my great friend Tabitha and a weeks' worth of gossip to catch up on), manicures, massages, facials, getting a new haircut (especially getting my hair washed with the magic shampoo and conditioner that my Stylist Ashley uses. Doesn't it always seem better when someone else does it!) and pretty much anything that can be done at a nice, reputable Day Spa. And as most women do, I love shopping, especially when I have money to blow, eating at great restaurants and relaxing vacations especially those for which I can bask in the sun and do absolutely nothing.

I also believe that chivalry is not dead and appreciate a chivalrous guy. Opening all doors...car, restaurant, bar, etc., letting me go first when walking through a crowded room, walking me to my door, occasional flowers, offering to pay and calling, texting or emailing for no reason but to say hi. All fantastic signs of a great guy...but of course the true, meaningful traits of good guy follow below.

I truly don't think I ask for more then I should when it comes to what I want in a guy. Here are a couple of important traits I know I want in guy:

1. He has to have a good personality, one that is funny, extroverted and will make me laugh. We all know how much fun Good Ole' Bill was right, what a funny, outgoing, personable guy he was...(did I mention it was opposite day) in other words, no Bill was nothing even close to one of those characteristics, which is why I know I have to have a funny guy in my life. Someone who really makes me laugh and enjoys having a good time. The opposite of Bill.

2. He also has to have friends...more then 1... as I believe friends help you grow and become your true self, not to mention what kind of a weird ass person doesn't have friends. (Again do I even have to say it, Bill had 1 friend.)

3. He also has to have dreams, goals, passion and motivation for his life...without having those things a person goes nowhere but the couch. Just ask me, I dated a person like this for four years. No dreams, no goals, no motivation, no passion = Bill. (And no playing on a computer for 8 hours a day, trying to catch every episode of Jerry Springer or seeing how long you can nap in a work day cannot be in anyway shape or form looked at as a goal to be surpassed nor should it be considered a passion of any kind.)

4. A Job...he has to have a job, he doesn't have to be a CEO of a bank or SVP of a corporation, he just has to have job he enjoys to some degree. Lets face it at our age there should be no reason a person does not work in some fashion or another unless of course they win the lottery. Whether its in the office, a stay at home Mom or Dad, a teacher, a waitress or front desk person, something that gives a person a paycheck or helps the household. Not having a job causes great friction in a relationship...believe me I know all too well. Which reminds me I am still not sure why Bill decided not to work for an entire year and to just live off me. (Oh but shame on me for letting him do it)

5. Honesty and Trustworthiness, he has got to be someone with great character and a high moral standard. Someone who was brought up learning the difference between right and wrong as well as treating everyone they meet with the respect he would want in return. In other words someone who doesn't cheat or lie to me. I just don't see the point, if you are going to cheat, then end the relationship. Period.

6. Lastly I want a guy who has patience and is caring. A guy who accepts my intense love for animals and the nonprofits I believe in. Someone who will spend a Saturday volunteering at a Diabetes Walk and would stop the car, help me coral a stray dog to safety and then help me find its owners. And most importantly someone who respects my family and my friends because those are the most important people in my life.

I would have to throw in that the type of guy I want has to be laid back enough to appreciate my emotionally charged personality. It is that emotion and passion though that makes me the person I am. (Anyways I don't think there is anything wrong with crying sometimes.) But in return he would get someone that would love without holding back. I don't think any of the things I want in a guy are ridiculous or things that are too much to ask. I think the things I am looking for are the things I know I can give back in return.

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experiences of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved." -Helen Keller

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well so long as you're not picky or anything... =)

Seriously though, imnsho, it's very attractive for a woman to know what she wants and be willing to go after it.

Erica Russell said...

He is so out there, you will find him! I do have to say that I think the part about stopping the car to capture a stray dog may be a little out there!! But nobody's perfect right? I am reminded of a certain yellow lab which you tried to "rescue" from his own yard :)

Erica