Thursday, August 7, 2008

Late Night Thoughts

I have the day off tomorrow and for that I am truly grateful. I did however have to work till about 7pm tonight in order to have tomorrow off but I would rather work late and have a whole day off then work till 5pm five days a week.

I did feel rather productive when I got home and I was able to check off several items on my ever-growing To Do list. I somtimes wonder... what would I do without a list and even more importantly will there ever be a time in my life when that list will be empty. I find myself depending on those To-Do lists...so I wont hold my breathe.

I was finally able to turn off the A/C and open up the windows because the temperature and humidity have finally dropped a bit. A big Thank You goes out to Mother Nature for helping out with that...I could live happily every day in weather like we had tonight. I love the smell of fresh air and even more a great breeze that fills your whole house with life.

I was sitting out on my patio and staring up in the sky and it was clear enough that I could see the stars. Even though I took two Astronomy classes at IU, I still couldnt tell you what constallation is what. The breeze was wonderful, the air truly smelled of summer and the loctus' hummed in perfect unison.

It reminded me so much of the summer time when I was a little girl... we lived outside....playing anything we could think of outdoors with our friends, swimming, riding our bikes, the park, water fights, hide and go seek and the list goes on. But just like clock work we would be home as the street lights flickered on. Then I would go inside and so began the bedtime routine which included a bath every night especially during the summer. Then I would put on my favorite Strawberry Shortcake nightgown and beg my parents to let us stay up just a little longer. Normally I could get 10 or if I was lucky 15 minutes out of them. Wow what I would give to have my parents tell me when to go to bed. I loved that. I also remember loving all of those things at the time of them happening and knowing they wouldnt last forever. Now reflecting back I am so blessed to have so many wonderful memories like these to reminisce about.

I think it was the begging to stay up later that created the late night monster that I am today. For some reason so matter how hard I try I cant make myself a morning person. I just hate getting up early. I remember in 5th grade actually creating a plan on how we should get our Elementary school to let us start at 10 am instead of 8 am. I really thought I could sell this plan to them...my main argument was that we would all be more rested and able to learn if we were able to sleep in later. I really thought it would work. It didnt and I found myself struggling even in 5th grade to get up early and it never got better from there. I often wondered how I would ever be able to survive in an 8-5 world since I was so used to a 10am to midnight (lets be honest way later) schedule in college. As I soon figured out employers dont care in the least what your college class schedules were they want your butt in the office by 8.

Another thing you may not know about me...well some may know....is I have a hard time just sitting and watching tv. I guess I feel lazy if I am not multi-tasking. I just dont enjoy sitting and watching tv for hours. Well tonight I actually sprawled out on the couch and flipped through the channels. I have never really been a flipper because normally there is a specifc show on that I want to watch and it absolutely annoys the crap out of me when people flip back and forth and then you end up missing part of the show you were watching. Bill, the horrible excuse for a man, did this and it drove me crazy.

Anyways I was flipping and I stopped on the Country Music channel. Now I am pretty much a fan of all music, I think those that can sing are incredibly gifted as no one not even my dog would want to hear me try to hold a tune. I really didnt get into Country music until my Freshmen year at IU. My next door neighbor in the dorms introduced me to the Dixie Chicks, I introduced her to my mix tape of Warren G and other pop music. She was from Lawrenceburg and I was from Fort Wayne. Later this neighbor would become one of my best friends and to make things even more interesting we had the same name. Megan and I ended up being roommates for the rest of our college days....so many memories I would fill up a million posts just on our Sophmore year.

Well tonight as I paused on the Country Music channel I found myself captivated by a song. The song was "Stay" by Sugarland. If you have heard it or seen the video you know what a captivating song it is. I dont typically get into music videos or really songs for that matter but this one just sucked me in. The emotion and saddness in the song griped me. While my life has not taken me down a road like the one described in the song I could still relate to the shear emotion and pain this woman was singing about because in the end it is all the same. By that I mean no matter how you are hurt by a man...cheated on, left for another woman, you are the other woman, broken heart, etc. it is still that raw, gut wrenching, uncontrolable feeling of hurt that you cant avoid.

I found the video and have posted it below.



"Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination." - Roy Goodman

No comments: